||asparagus, trimmed and cut into 1/2 inch pieces
|| cayenne pepper
||grated sharp white Cheddar cheese
- Cook asparagus in a saucepan of boiling water until bright green but still crips,
about 2 minutes. Transfer asparagus to ice water to stop the cooking process.
Drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Whisk in flour and stir until mixture becomes paste-like and light golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Whisk milk into butter-flour mixture; bring to a simmer and cook until thick, 2 to 3 minutes. Season with salk and cayenne pepper.
- Place milk mixture, garlic, and asparagus in a blender and puree until smooth.
- Pour asparagus mixture into a large bowl; stir in egg yorks and Cheddar cheese.
- Preheat oven to 375 degreesF (190 degrees C)
- Generously butter 4 (6-ounce) ramekins
- Beat egg whites in a large glass or metal mixing bowl until soft peaks form. Life your beater or whisk straight up: the egg whites will form soft mounds rather than a sharp peak
- Stir half of egg whites into asparagus cheese mixture until just combined. Gently fold remaining egg whites into mixture.
- Attach the Silpoura to bowl and pour asparagus egg mixture into ramekins about 3/4 full and place on a baking sheel; bake in the preheated oven until edges are golden brown, about 20- 25 minutes.
Yield: 4-6 servings
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 30 min